Tuesday, May 12, 2009

New Blog Same Old Bob

I have been wanting to do another blog lately, one where I can be the crotchety old man that I have been slowly turning into. There are things that are happening in this world that I feel I just have to rant about. Some are political and most are just personal foibles that have been taking over my life.

As I have gotten older I find that I worry more about the future than the past. Don't get me wrong here I do believe that those who don't understand the past are doomed to repeat it but there are some things about the future that scare me silly. Social Security. I have always said that just as I would be able to collect it will go bankrupt. Well guess what children, tonight on the news that is exactly what the government is saying. Both Medicare and Social Security will be out of money by 2017 and 2037 respectively. I will be 65 in 2017 and believe me this fat old diabetic is going to need Medicare. All the medications that I take are expensive. The insulin runs to about $1000 for 20 pre-filled injector pens that last about a month and I need two different types. Where the hell will that money come from. Believe me Caroline Jane will only work for the City of Trees until she has all her retirement points in and most likely not a minute longer. And she shouldn't have too either.

I have always thought that government exists to help those that are either unable to take care of themselves or those that needed a hand to carry on. I think that affordable health care is not all that much to ask for. I don't want a socialized medical plan but I sure want one I can afford and right now I don't care if that is a private or public plan. We have the best health care in the world. Our hospitals are second to none and our doctors and medical schools are the best in the world. The medical research groups come up with new and more amazing things everyday. But the delivery system we use is just plain crazy and insurance seems to be at the root of every problem in the system.

Insurance costs are in most cases astronomical if you don't belong to a big group plan. If you have a preexisting condition they will not take you on or at a price that is unsustainable for the long haul. Doctors and hospitals will not see you if you don't have insurance. Hospital ER's are used by people that don't have insurance to provide care that is best given by a doctor at his office that is if you had insurance. Insurance companies decide if you will get the latest in medical care based on cost and what they think is necessary not what your doctor or even a group of doctors say you need. I'm not saying that government could or even would do it better but they sure as hell can make regulations that make it work better for the patient and the doctor and the hospital.

The unnamed they say that health care costs will take a bigger and bigger bite out of businesses bottom line, workers pockets and retirees fixed incomes. It will take more and more money out of all government budgets. I don't like it but that is the way it is shaping up. So people we need to get up off our cans and and let Congress know that they need to get working and give us something that will work. I for one want to live to a ripe, nasty and crotchety old age.

No comments:

Post a Comment